OA Position Description
Orientation Assistants are responsible for assisting with all aspects of New Student Days. The position reports to the Lead Orientation Assistants under the direction of the Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
1) Greet new students and their families when they arrive
2) Assist new students and their families with moving belongings from their vehicles into their residence hall rooms
3) If requested, assist with Commuter Student Orientation or other programs
New Student Days
1) Socialize during NSD activities with students and their families
2) Serve as a model representative of Wittenberg University
3) Lead scheduled OA/New Student meetings, following the assigned discussion topics
4) Assist with programmatic aspects of New Student Days, including but not limited to: event setup and cleanup, distribution/collection of materials for new students, participating in student panels,facilitating programs, etc.
5) Provide feedback about the OA and New Student Days experience to the Lead OAs and Office of Student Involvement via OA Debrief sessions and formal assessment tools
6) Other duties as assigned
Post-New Student Days
1) Through January 1, communicate at least once a month with students in OA group and when asked/assigned by the Office of Student Involvement; communications typically occur via email but may also be in person, via phone/text, or facebook
2) Attend, as available, activities targeted at new students with your OA group
3) Attend the Honor Council presentation following New Student Days
1) Communicate with Lead OAs and Office of Student Involvement staff as needed prior to New Student Days; respond to emails, phone calls, and requests for information
2) Attend all training sessions and meetings including Honor Council presentation following New Student Days
3) Assist with other events where OAs are requested, as available (i.e. Optional June Orientation, tours, etc.)
• Maintain a 2.50 minimum cumulative grade point average and excellent judicial record.
• Arrive on time for and attend all training sessions and New Student Days’ events. Training will be August 17-20 and New Student Days will be August 21-24.
• Wear designated OA apparel and have your OA manual and other materials at all times during New Student Days.
• If a member of a fraternity or sorority, disassociate for the duration of OA Training and New Student Days. All OAs may speak positively about the fraternity/sorority community in general, but not about specific organizations. Encourage ALL aspects of college life.
• Participate fully in all activities as directed, including, but not limited to: educational sessions, Service Plunge, evening NSD activities, and the Honor Council presentation (typically first Tuesday of fall semester).
• Mingle with new students and their family members, during meals when possible.
• Serve as a positive representative of Wittenberg University. If you choose to drink, do not discuss it in the presence of new students. It is expected that all OAs will refrain from consuming alcohol prior to and during New Student Days events.
• Refrain from socializing with new students outside of officially scheduled events during training and New Student Days until the program ends and classes commence. Romantic relationships between OAs and new students are strongly discouraged.
• OAs are provided some meals during OA Training and New Student Days
• OAs will receive all OA apparel and are expected to provide their own khaki shorts/pants during New Student Days
• OAs are permitted to move into their residence hall or student rental the morning of the first day of OA Training (if living in a Greek house, arrangements must be made independently with the chapter’s housing corporation)